Monday, November 19, 2007

Reflection 2

Reflection 2: Differentiated Instructions

After the first lesson handling differentiated instructions I came to a safe conclusion that it was not strictly about making different groups of students attempt different tasks for the sake of avoiding monotonous learning; but rather a strategy that teachers could use to cater to students’ differing needs and styles of learning without compromising on the desired learning outcomes of the class as a whole. I thought of it as a useful strategy because I have personally experienced long-term relief teaching and watched certain groups of students struggle with tasks and yet others who fidget and become restless because the tasks were essentially not challenging enough for them. Although I am convinced of its effectiveness, I was skeptical about two things.

Firstly, I was worried about the effects of dividing students up into groups based on their abilities. Although differentiated instructions might be able to cater to different types of needs, I was afraid that it might also create a superiority and/or inferiority complex with the students as they take note that they are divided into certain groups and given tasks which differ in intensity or difficulty. It might sound a little exaggerated but I can almost imagine an argument in class between students pertaining to this. In a worst-case scenario, parents might start questioning why their children have been divided or put into such groupings and insist it was an insult to their children/ that their children would not be able to cope. Getting into arguments with parents always gets sticky.

Secondly, I was skeptical about the amount of work it would mean for the teacher. Granted this is what we do for a living, but catering every lesson for different students really means twice or thrice the workload and I was worried about how this would affect or personal and social lives. However, given that this would allow teachers to really gauge their students’ standards and help them accordingly, I felt that it would be better to handle a heavier workload and see results than to do the opposite and not even see progress.

In all, I am convinced of the effectiveness of differentiated instructions and will most definitely use it in the classroom. However, just thinking about having to handle parents who are very protective of their children and who demand ‘fair’ treatment makes it seem like I might be putting in effort to cater to differences only to be rubbed the wrong way. I realize that having correct professional ethics with regards to handling such could help prevent or cure such problems but I just feel that it becomes an extra burden on the teacher’s shoulders even though it would really help students learn more effectively.

No comments: